Keystone Club, Lakeland, Mich. Until the railroad came to Lakeland and Zukey Lake in 1883, there were few occupants in the area. The first dwellings were sporting clubs, for hunting and fishing. The Ann Arbor Sporting Club came first, then the Keystone Club, shown here in an early 1900’s photo postcard.
This 1916 view of the Lakeland Post Office, sitting next to the railroad tracks (lower right foreground,) may have been taken after the building was no longer used for a post office. The sign on the stake next to the building reads, “Notice Trespassing Upon this Property Strictly Forbidden.” The building may have been occupied during this time, however, since there is a milk bottle on the front porch, a butter churn on the back porch, a young girl standing next to it.