Depot Lakeland Mich. Lakeland was once known as Hamburg Junction, named for the Ann Arbor and Grand Trunk crossing. The depot in this card postmarked 1907 is lettered Lakeland and served both the railroad lines.
Lakeland, Mich. Men, women, and children disembark from the Ann Arbor Railroad cars and wait for their launches to take them to a lake destination. This view shows the tracks looking west, the depot barely visible above the cars. In the early years, a round trip fare from Toledo to Lakeland was $.75 on Sundays.
Traveling down the Huron River, the first lake in the Portage chain of lakes is Strawberry Lake. However, Zukey Lake is connected to Strawberry to the north, and is usually the last lake in the journey for boaters up the chain. On the North shore of Zukey Lake is Lakeland, an unincorporated village area that has been a resort destination on both the Ann Arbor and Grand Trunk Railroads, where the two lines had a major interlock in the early years.