Catholic Church Dexter, circa early 1900’s. This real photo view of St. Joseph Church was taken in the winter. On the back of the card, the previous owner of the card has written the names of the parishioners of the church.
St Joseph Church and Shrine, Dexter, Michigan, circa 1950’s, 1960’s. The bell (named “Eugene”) in the belfry atop the roof was cast especially for the church in 1885, and was restored and moved to the new country church. In this aerial shot of St. Joseph, you can see the entire block of Dover Street.
St Joseph Catholic Church. The original Catholic Church was built by predominately Irish Dexter settlers in 1839 on Dexter Town Hall Road. It was destroyed by fire in 1854. The church shown was built in 1875 in the village on Dover Street. The Parish now has an additional church, dedicated in 2008, and called the Country Church by parishioners, on the corner of North Territorial and Mast Roads. The parish will celebrate its 175th anniversary in 2014.