Hotel Tuomey—Pinckney, Mich., circa pre 1917. A group of men gather at the corner, under a Bell Telephone sign. An electric light hangs from the center chimney pot on the front roof.
The Tuomey Hotel was built in 1848 on the corner of Main Street and Mill Street to service those who stopped at the stage station between Dexter and Howell, before the railroad came through in 1883. Over the years, it had a theater with performances, and a ballroom. It was vacant from 1917 on, and burned in 1920, before Pinckney had its own fire department.